Defender is a Nightblade Tank PVE Build for ESO. The build is sturdy and flexible enough to complete every PVE content. Defender has many tools to protect your group, crowd control enemies and even heal you. Based on the secondary Armor Set you are using you can offer to your group different TYPES of support.
If you are a new player, you can take a look at my Nightblade Beginner Guide. If you are looking for a Solo PVE Build for Arenas like the Maelstrom Arena and Vateshran Hollows, take a look at my Magicka Nightblade Solo Build.
You can find more Builds in the Nightblade Builds page.
Table of Contents
- Build Setup
- Armor Sets
- Passive Skills
- Champion Points
- More Nightblade Builds
Nightblade Tank Build Setup
Below you can find different Setups for harder but also easier group content. The Setups will help you tank Trials or Dungeons and allow you to assist Stamina or Magicka(Encratis’s Behemoth) based Groups! A few good alternative Sets you can use include Nazaray, Turning Tide and Brands of Imperium.
This is a Tank setup for harder Group content.
|Hands||(Perfected)Claw of Yolnahkriin||Heavy||Sturdy||Max. Health|
|Legs||(Perfected)Claw of Yolnahkriin||Heavy||Infused||Multi-Effect ( Tri-Stat )|
|Chest||(Perfected)Claw of Yolnahkriin||Heavy||Infused||Multi-Effect ( Tri-Stat )|
|Waist||(Perfected)Claw of Yolnahkriin||Heavy||Sturdy||Max. Health|
|Feet||(Perfected)Claw of Yolnahkriin||Heavy||Sturdy||Max. Health|
|One Handed Weapon||Powerful Assault||Sword||Infused||Weakening|
|Off-Hand||Powerful Assault||Shield||Sturdy||Max. Stamina|
Easier Group Content
A Tank setup for easier Group content and less organized parties.
|Shoulders||Lord Warden||Heavy/Medium/Light||Sturdy||Max. Health|
|Hands||Drake's Rush||Heavy||Sturdy||Max. Health|
|Legs||Drake's Rush||Heavy||Infused||Multi-Effect ( Tri-Stat )|
|Chest||Drake's Rush||Heavy||Infused||Multi-Effect ( Tri-Stat )|
|Waist||Drake's Rush||Heavy||Sturdy||Max. Health|
|Feet||Drake's Rush||Heavy||Sturdy||Max. Health|
|Necklace||Crimson Oath's Rive||Jewel||Healthy||Bracing|
|Ring||Crimson Oath's Rive||Jewel||Healthy||Bracing|
|Ring||Crimson Oath's Rive||Jewel||Healthy||Bracing|
|One Handed Weapon||Crimson Oath's Rive||Sword||Infused||Weakening|
|Off-Hand||Crimson Oath's Rive||Shield||Sturdy||Max. Stamina|
|Staff||Crimson Oath's Rive||Lightning/Ice||Infused||Crusher|
Armor Sets for Nightblade Tank Build
- Tremorscale: Veteran Volenfell, Glirion the Redbeard
- Encratis’s Behemoth: Veteran Black Drake Villa, Urgarlag Chief-Bane
- Lord Warden: Veteran Imperial City Prison, Urgarlag Chief-bane
- (Perfected)Claw of Yolnahkriin: (Veteran)Sunspire Trial
- Powerful Assault: Imperial City, Tel Var Vendor
- Drake’s Rush: Black Drake Villa Dungeon
- Crimson Oath’s Rive: Dread Cellar Dungeon, Normal and Veteran
- Nazaray: Veteran Shipwright’s Regret, Urgarlag Chief-Bane
- Turning Tide: Shipwright’s Regret Dungeon
- Brands of Imperium: Imperial City Prison, Normal and Veteran
Skills for Nightblade Tank Build
The following Skills will allow you to hold aggro and Tank effectively almost every PVE content.
|Front Bar||Back Bar|
|Skill 1||Pierce Armor||Unstable Wall of Elements|
|Skill 2||Inner Rage||Silver Leash|
|Skill 3||Mirage||Dark Cloak|
|Skill 4||Defensive Stance||Leeching Strikes|
|Skill 5||Razor Caltrops||Turn Evil|
|Ultimate Skill||Bolstering Darkness||Soul Tether|
- Pierce Armor(Puncture): Our main Taunt attack that also debuffs enemies.
- Inner Rage(Inner Fire): Our Taunt for enemies far away.
- Mirage(Blur): Defensive buff to boost resistances.
- Defensive Stance(Defensive Posture): Essential skill for tanking. It gives us a shield, increases the amount of damage we can block and reduces the cost of blocking.
- Razor Caltrops(Caltrops): Debuffs enemies and triggers Powerful Assault.
- Bolstering Darkness(Consuming Darkness): Your Primary Ultimate that provides Major Protection.
- Unstable Wall of Elements(Wall of Elements): Use this ability to deal damage and apply the Crusher debuff to enemies.
- Silver Leash(Silver Bolts): Use it to pull enemies to you.
- Dark Cloak(Shadow Cloak): Defensive buff that provides Minor Protection and heals.
- Leeching Strikes(Siphoning Strikes): Our second self-buff, essential for our sustain.
- Turn Evil(Circle of Protection): Crowd Control ability that also provides Minor Protection.
- Soul Tether(Soul Shred): Secondary Ultimate to deal damage or use as an additional CC ability.
Passive Skills for Nightblade Tank Build
Very important passive skills that can help you maximize the potential of your Nightblade Tank Build
- All Passive Skills from your Class’ Lines
- All Passive Skills from Weapon Lines you are using
- Passive Skills from Armor Lines you are using
- Passive Abilities from Guild lines(Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Psijic Order) that affect your skills/Build
- Fighters Guild Passives: Intimidating Presence, Slayer, Banish the Wicked, Skilled Tracker
- Undaunted Passives
- Your Racial Passives
- Medicinal Use Passive from Alchemy to boost the effectiveness of Potions
Champion Points for Nightblade Tank Build
Below you will find the best Champion Points setup for the Build. If you would like to learn more about Champion Points and how they work, you can read my ESO Champion Points Guide.
Slottable Stars: Unassailable, Bulwark, Reinforced, Last Stand
Passive: Eldritch Insight, Tireless Discipline, Piercing, Flawless Ritual, War Mage, Battle Mastery, Mighty, Quick Recovery, Hardy, Elemental Aegis, Preparation, Precision, Blessed
Slottable Stars: Rationer, Liquid Efficiency, Master Gatherer, Plentiful Harvest
Passive: Gilded Fingers, Fortune’s Favor, Wanderer, Steadfast Enchantment, Treasure Hunter(slottable, required for path)
Slottable Stars: Fortified, Strategic Reserve, Rejuvenation, Boundless Vitality
Passive: Sprinter, Hasty, Tireless Guardian, Fortification, Hero’s Vigor, Mystic Tenacity, Tumbling, Defiance, Nimble Protector, Savage Defense, Bashing Brutality
Consumables for Nightblade Tank Build
We are using Longfin Pasty with Melon Sauce or Bewitched Sugar Skulls and crafted Tri-Stat Essence of Health.
Info for Nightblade Tank Build
Several important info for the Nightblade Tank PVE Build. What Mundus to use, the best race for the build and how to assign your attribute points.
24 points to Magicka, 6 to Health and 34 to Stamina
The Atronach for better Magicka Recovery.
What Race is Best for Nightblade Tank Build
Nord – Imperial – Orc – Argonian is the best race for a Tank Build. You can find more about the playable races in my ESO Race Guide!
Vampire or Werewolf
Neither is necessary.
Rotation for Nightblade Tank Build
Buff yourself with Mirage, Dark Cloak, Leeching Strikes. Taunt enemies with Pierce Armor, Inner Rage and attack with Unstable Wall of Elements to apply the Crusher debuff. Use Razor Caltrops to debuff enemies and trigger Powerful Assault.
Use Silver Leash to pull enemies to you and Turn Evil to CC them. Activate your Ultimates when ready. Bolstering Darkness to provide Major Protection and Soul Tether to deal damage, crowd control.
More Nightblade Builds
- Cloak and Dagger – Nightblade Thief Build
- Shadowfire – Magicka Nightblade PVE Build
- Spellblade – Melee Magicka Nightblade PVE Build
- Brawler – Stamina Nightblade PVE Build
- Magicka Nightblade Solo PVE Build
- Stamina Nightblade Solo PVE Build
- Lifestealer – Magicka Nightblade PVP Build
- Elusive Warrior – Stamina Nightblade PVP Build
- Shadowstrike – Magicka Nightblade Gank PVP Build
- Arbalest – Stamina Nightblade Bow Gank PVP Build
Arzyel is a passionate Gamer and fan of the Elder Scrolls Series! A professional Content Creator and owner of the arzyelbuilds.com and arzyelarmory.com websites that are focusing on The Elder Scrolls Online with hundreds of Builds and Guides! Arzyel also publishes videos on his YouTube channel!
Thanks to his experience in Gaming and especially Online Gaming, Arzyel can create practical and effective Builds & Guides, perfect for new and veteran players! You can check his Twitter for his latest content and if you wish to find out more you can also check his About Me page.